As a craft, crochet goes back to at least the 19th century. It was practiced by our mothers, our grandmothers, and their mothers before them. Itâ€™s no wonder that crochet has a reputation for being old-fashioned!
But crochet patterns have evolved with the times, and there are plenty of modern and stylish projects to be found today. Here are some fashionable crochet projects for those with the most discerning tastes.
- Scarves â€“ The scarf is a staple of many a crocheterâ€™s repertoire. Itâ€™s also one of todayâ€™s hottest fashion accessories. With all of the different patterns and materials available, scarves are anything but boring. An eyelash yarn in a funky color can transform the most basic scarf pattern into something spectacular, and an intricate pattern can turn bland yarn into a trademark piece.
- Fingerless gloves â€“ Teens and young adults are often seen sporting fingerless gloves these days. If youâ€™re fond of this trend, why not try making a pair by hand? Theyâ€™re surprisingly easy to crochet, and you can make them extra special by choosing a unique yarn.
- Hats â€“ If thereâ€™s one accessory that works for men, women and children of all ages, itâ€™s the crocheted hat. Beanies are perfect for keeping tiny heads warm. Toddlers and young children love fun hats with vivid colors or animal designs. Tweens and teens are often seen sporting toboggans, and fashion-conscious adults often have a variety of crocheted hats in their accessory wardrobes. No matter what your style, youâ€™re sure to find plenty of hat patterns that youâ€™ll love.
- Headbands â€“ For ladies with long hair, the crocheted headband is an indispensable accessory. It offers an easy yet attractive way to keep your hair out of your face whether youâ€™re at work or at play. Wide headbands are particularly popular. You can keep it simple with a single color of yarn and a simple pattern, or stitch up an intricate multi-color piece accented with beads.
- Vests â€“ A crocheted vest can turn a simple t-shirt or blouse and jeans into a super-stylish outfit. You can find patterns to suit every style and frame, from long and elegant to cropped and trendy. A crocheted vest in a neutral color can easily go from day to evening and season to season.
- Handbags â€“ A good handbag is more than just an accessory. For many of us, itâ€™s a necessity. Crocheted handbags are both stylish and durable, and todayâ€™s patterns rival the most expensive designer bags.
Crochet isnâ€™t just for grandmas and stay-at-home moms. Itâ€™s a great craft for anyone who wants to keep up with the latest fashions. These are just a few of the many stylish projects that can be created with some yarn and a crochet hook.